Find an artistic home at the Playwrights’ Center—and get paid to be a playwright. Our programs support playwrights and theater artists at various stages in their careers, from beginning to emerging to established.
It is always free to apply. Please help us spread the word far and wide!
Fellowships, made possible by the McKnight and Jerome foundations, provide more than $315,000 each year for residencies, commissions, and development funds. Beyond the financial stipend, the value of fellowships is more than doubled with the year-long support the Playwrights’ Center adds through workshops with professional collaborators and through the connections the Center makes between playwrights and producers of new work. This holistic and customized combination of financial support, access to talent, and professional connections is career-changing for most playwrights.
During their three-year tenure, Core Writers receive play development workshops at the Playwrights’ Center, have the opportunity to be part of PlayLabs or the Ruth Easton New Play Series, and get connected to an extensive network of universities and producing theaters.
Application deadlines for 2018-19:
- December 7, 2017: McKnight National Residency and Commission
- December 14, 2017: Many Voices Fellowships and Mentorships
- January 11, 2018: Jerome Fellowships
- January 18, 2018: McKnight Fellowships in Playwriting
- January 25, 2018: Core Writer Program
- February 1, 2018: Core Apprentice Program
- April 12, 2018: McKnight Theater Artist Fellowships
Photo: 2017-18 playwriting fellows at the 2017 PlayLabs festival. Photo by Paula Keller.