Are you an aspiring playwright, director, dramaturg, theater arts administrator, or theater artist of any discipline? No matter your particular interest, every apprentice will receive hands-on experience in both theater arts administration and the process of new play development through the Playwrights’ Center’s apprenticeship program.
What past apprentices say about the program
The PWC Artistic & Administrative Apprenticeship has without a doubt shaped my trajectory in the arts. I made invaluable connections with playwrights, artists, and the PWC community that have fueled and nourished me to this day. This apprenticeship really was a unique opportunity for me to learn how to facilitate spaces for creative development, and hone a plethora of skills that come with that. Even more, PWC modeled to me what a community-centered and social impact-driven organization looks like, and set me on a path to engage with other organizations and artists with the same dedication and drive. The PWC staff (family, really) is a remarkable group, and I recommend the apprenticeship to anyone looking to get a start in artistic administration."
— Kaitlyn Boyer, 2020-21
I entered my internship at the Playwrights’ Center with a vague desire to work with theatre texts and left knowing my future career. It was at the Center when I realized “this is what I want to do with the rest of my life.” The greatest part of my time there was meeting the amazing artists and staff, creating connections that I still maintain. My time at the Center opened new doors in my career and my community.
— Abbie Butterfield, Summer 2013
What playwrights say about the program
We were assigned an intern.…when the workshop ended, we asked her to join the production team for our performance at the Fitzgerald. So, a further relationship has evolved. I’ve always believed that the Playwrights' Center’s most vital role was two-fold: to provide writers the material resources we need; and to introduce us to collaborators whose talents increase our own.
— Jeffrey Hatcher, Playwrights’ Center Core Writer
About the apprenticeship
This apprenticeship is a paid staff position that provides the opportunity to support the administrative and artistic aspects of the Playwrights' Center. Over the course of the year, each apprentice will serve as an administrative assistant to the membership and education department as well as work as a stage manager in approximately 15-25 new play development workshops.
Benefits of the program include
- A chance to gain working knowledge of how a nonprofit service organization runs through work with many departments
- Access to classes, seminars, and special events
- Observe trends around new play production and development around the world
- Observe a wide range of new play development and playwriting processes
- A chance to meet and work with a variety of professional theater artists, including playwrights, directors, dramaturgs, designers, and actors both from the Twin Cities and around the country
- A complimentary Playwrights' Center membership
- JANUARY 18 - MARCH 4, 2022
- The apprenticeship begins in August 2022 and concludes in August 2023
To apply for an apprenticeship, you will need to provide the following:
- Application form—download below
- Current résumé
- Cover letter explaining your short-term and long-term career goals, what skills you will bring to the Playwrights’ Center, and why you are interested in a year-long apprenticeship at the Playwrights’ Center.
All application materials should be e-mailed to email@example.com
NOTE: The Playwrights' Center is unable to provide housing to apprentices. At this time, the expectation is that apprentices plan to live within driving distance of the Playwrights' Center for the 2022-23 season. The apprenticeship is paid on an hourly basis (averaging between 10-15 hours per week, and at $14/hour). Schedules allow for other part-time work.
*Due to AEA Covid-19 safety protocols, anyone working in rehearsal rooms with performers are required to show proof of vaccination to complete employment requirements for this position. More details on PWC's Covid-19 policies can be found HERE.
Read more about the year-long apprenticeship below.