Reports to: Managing Director
In a transformative moment for the Playwrights’ Center, the Institutional Development Manager will work with the executive leadership team, board and Director of Individual and Major Gifts to fulfill the growth potential of this dynamic 46-year-old institution. This critical role manages and works to diversify and aggressively expand an institutional portfolio currently producing $1MM annually. The Manager is responsible for the creation, planning, and execution of fundraising from foundation, corporate, and government sources for operating and program support. This position works with the Director of Individual and Major Gifts to execute a strategy for fundraising events and ensure their success.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the preparation of all PWC grant proposals
- Manage grant calendar, interim reports, final reports, and other necessary requirements to government, corporate, and foundation funding sources
- Conduct research, collect data, and develop background information for proposals
- With the support and guidance of the executive leadership team and Director of Individual and Major Gifts, identify new funding prospects that align with the organization’s strategic goals of supporting the Center’s general operations, programming, and long-term investment in infrastructure
- Work with the executive and artistic programs teams to cultivate and manage key relationships with funders
- Work closely with program staff to become thoroughly familiar with the Center’s programs and communicate them in a compelling manner to funders—both verbally and in writing
- Support the preparation for, and where appropriate, participate in donor meetings
- Ensure proper stewardship and acknowledgment of funders.
- In tandem with the Director of Individual and Major Gifts, project manage fundraising events and special projects
- Play a participatory role in the arts and cultural community
- Bachelor’s degree in writing, journalism, arts, or comparable experience
- Minimum of three years of grant writing experience in foundation, corporate, and government fundraising, and/or related areas
- Proven track record in cultivation and securing support from institutional sources
- Knowledge of foundation, corporate foundation/philanthropy, and government funding communities
- Impeccable writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet grant and reporting deadlines
- Proficient with databases for tracking and reporting
- Must enjoy working collaboratively.
- Ability and commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
- The Manager of Institutional Development is a full-time, 52-week position based in Minneapolis. Salary to mid 50’s, DOE. Benefits include health insurance; paid time off for holidays, vacations, and sick days; and an optional IRA plan.
The Playwrights’ Center is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position. We celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive environment filled with mutual respect for all employees. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé, and two writing samples (including at least one grant) to email@example.com, and include “Institutional Development” in the subject line.
General accessibility information for the Playwrights’ Center can be found at pwcenter.org/accessibility and we are happy to answer other accessibility questions sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.