You may have heard people talking about Paula Vogel and the upcoming “Ubu Roi Bake-Off.” Many of you are likely familiar with the bake-off concept and with Ubu Roi, but so everyone is on the same page, here are the need-to-know details about this exciting event:
- A bake-off is a quickly written exercise on an assigned theme with assigned elements that folks do within a 48 hour period of time.
- Ubu Roi is “an inglorious slop-pail of a play” by Alfred Jarry, which opened (and closed) on December 10, 1896. Get a copy of the play here.
- Paula Vogel has started a national grassroots movement to respond to our global crisis with a bake-off inspired by this play on Presidents Day 2018 (February 19). People will be writing plays and coming together to share them all over the country.
- We encourage everyone, not just playwrights, to write a play. This is a great opportunity for community members to participate.
- Paula will be at the Playwrights' Center during the bake-off, and we're gathering 8 heroic actors for a reading of 50 YES FIFTY 5-minute plays written during the previous 48 hours. These amazing actors who will essentially be doing 5 hours of cold reads include: Christian Bardin, Cristina Castro, Ben Cherry*, Sun Mee Chomet*, Peter Christian Hansen*, Katie Kaufmann, Jim Lichtscheidl*, Adia Morris*, and Eric Sharp*. (*Member of Actors' Equity).
- If you want your play read at the Playwrights' Center February 19 sign up here by 2 p.m. on February 14. This page has detailed instructions for writers.
- Whether or not you're writing, if you want to be in the audience, sign up here.
- Or do your own thing! Host a reading in your living room. Take over a coffee shop or dorm common room or city park. Offer childcare or pizza to people who are organizing a gathering. Just make your voice heard!
- After Presidents Day, if bakers want their plays shared publicly, Paula will upload them to her website. You can email them to email@example.com and then there will be a downloadable link for each play.
Twin Cities Ubu Roi Bake-Off info: https://pwcenter.org/ubu
Twin Cities Ubu Roi Bake-Off info for writers: https://pwcenter.org/ubu-roi-bake-twin-cities
Twin Cities Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/801246986729531/
National Ubu Roi Bake-Off info: http://paulavogelplaywright.com/ubu-bake-off
National Paul Vogel Bake-Off Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/paulavogelbakeoff/
#UbuBakeOff #UbuBakeOffTwinCities #PaulaVogelBakeOff